Sunday, March 22, 2009

color our world

A few weeks before I left home, I promised a friend I’ll help with her volunteer work. So this morning, I went out and looked for a way to reach pangarap foundation. It was faaaaaar from my “home” here – took me lrt and mrt rides and a few meters of walking (yes, I was late). Good thing the people I asked for directions were very helpful and friendly too. When they heard where I was going, they were prompt to point the way, one even asking if I want company (I said no thanks…hehehe).

So I reached the place and met the other volunteers. There were six of us in all, and it was nice to meet new people who share the same passion as mine. I also met the kids – all 31 of them. I was told that some of them go to school while some do not and it’s only through the volunteers where they learn to read or write. They were excited about the day’s activity.

The day’s activity was about art and was called “Dreams in Color”. The Saturday Group of Artists helped, giving lectures on painting, drawing and cartoon making. They also showed some of their masterpieces – I was amazed at one work where the artist used sandpaper for his canvass. The kids were eager to learn and were full of energy all throughout the three sessions. When workshop time came, some even managed to come up with two or more beautiful outputs.

The artists were wonderful with the kids. They were patient despite the “kuyakuyakuyakuyakuya”s from the kids. They showed them different techniques in painting/drawing/cartoon making and what I liked most was that they always remind the kids not to be afraid to express themselves through art, not to give up on their dreams and not to be ashamed of who they are.

We ended at around 430pm with lots of outputs and lots of happy kids, eager to learn more and eager to continue what they have started this day.

As I was leaving pangarap foundation, their credo caught my eye: “huwag bitawan ang tibay, lakas”. For these boys, the future is bright as long as they do just that.





4 comments:

tyay said...

wOw! love those paintings! =)ipagpatuloy ang pangarap! heheh.

btw, ma'am. sa last pic, ikaw to ang sa side? nka blue? nag slim ka. heheh! no kidding! =)))

tyay said...

ay...paintings gid man or canvass? heheh! na mesmerize ko abi sa beauty sang work nila..heheh!

Anonymous said...

tyay, huo ako ang naka-blue nga utod kuha. hahaha.

i have more pics. will post sa fb. damu pa gd sila nami nga work.

red said...

w0w! kasagad sa ila mag drawing bah. gna make use kag gna nurture gd nila ila talent.

yes ma'am. nag slim ka gd man c0mpared the first time i saw u sa ec0n last last year. hehe!

=))