Thursday, December 29, 2011

a confession

When you’re young, your dreams change every now and then. One day, you want to be a singer; the next, a writer. A world-class violinist, an astronaut, a doctor, the scientist who cures cancer — it’s a hodgepodge of possibilities until you finally find the one that sticks.

For me, it was wanting to make a difference in people's lives.

However…

When I got to the age where I started falling in love, I started building another dream. The people closest to me know this. Alongside helping other people, one thing I really wanted to be was a wife and a mother.

I’ve thought about it and come up with a list:

Why I Would Really Love To Be A Mom Someday:

  1. I really enjoy the company of children. I like to babysit. I like hanging out with kids. Put me in a room with adults and kids and I'll be singing Disney songs with the lil ones.
  2. I think, if given the chance, I could actually be really good at it.
  3. This heart’s got a lot of love to give.
  4. Parents make (or break) a child. I think I would love to take on the challenge of raising a fantastic human being.
  5. Motherhood teaches you the value of real love. (Read Harry Potter for further proof.) To quote Mitch Albom: “But there’s a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother’s story, because hers is where yours begins.”
  6. I had a really great mom, and I have great "nanay"s too.

Real moms, of course, would laugh at such a stupid list. Because it isn’t something you’d really sign up for if you knew the agony of sleepless nights, getting a door slammed in your face and the grief of having to give up a few good dreams.

I know marriage and motherhood aren't easy. My friends have shown me that but I still want that someday. I think I'll be good at it. I really hope God give me that gift.

No comments: