Wednesday, December 31, 2008

the OC strikes

I love makings lists. That makes me quite OC but I enjoy listing stuff. So before the year ends, let me share with you some of my lists for the year.

My Music List

2008 was a great year for OPM - there were a lot of great albums, awesome videos, and yes, even reunions. Those that made my list (in no particular order) are:

X Marks the Spot by Sandwich
--> I love Sandwich. From angular rock (“Procrastinator”) to a modernized tribute to Pinoy music (“Betamax”) to an alt-rock take on slick modern R & B (“Text in the City”, this album is certainly one of the bests this year.

I am torn between betamax and procrastinator for my fave sandwich video though.

chech out the videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLGBJIjc1A procrastinator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUMZb7gqdg betamax

Taken by Cars
--> I love it that their sound is different from what is normally played on the radio. This is Bloc Party that's high on estrogen =)

a little trivia: Mong (that long-hair dude of Sandwich) produced their album

I feel the time has come to play
I see you look my way
my mind's filled with cruel intentions
I'm wanting your affection



Tomorrow Becomes Yesterday by Bamboo
--> some people find them "preachy" but I guess that was because of their last album. This album displays the band's heart on their sleeve and should be on everyone's playlist (plus, Bamboo's hot! LOL)

Captured by Christian Bautista and Sitti
--> i love this song, and the video's great eye candy! hey, even my brother loves it!



Eheads Reunion
--> and everything that went with it - the interview, the myx documentary, the issues, the reprinting of Fruitcake, the abrupt ending.
The eheads will always be a part of any music list I make. It was sad when they disbanded but as I've said, it's not about losing them but rather finding new groups from the separate members that could be a part of another of my life's chapter's soundtrack.

Your Universe by Rico Blanco
—-> To quote Cris Ramos of the Manila Times, "The most eclectic, no filler-all killer album of the year. An album documenting an artist who values his craft so much there’s no doubt he pulled all stops to do it." 'nuff said =)

Now, on to the international music scene:

Ne-Yo: Year of the Gentleman
--> His album is just wonderful. Shaffer Chimere Smith (yes, that's his real name)has created one of the best r&b releases of the year. His flattery is suave, but his prodigious songwriting talent is even smoother.

If I Were a Boy by Beyonce
--> I don't like her album but this songs just gets to me. The song showcases Beyonce's strong emotional interpretation of songs and her incredible voice, and I feel that the track gets better each time I hear it.

Selfish by Asia Cruise
-->Have been listening to this track since my friend introduced me to it. Just speaks a lot to me. LOL,

Take a Bow by Rihanna
--> love the song! basta lang =)

Zack Hexum
--> Thanks to maj for introducing me to this friend of hers. Hexum is a veteran on the indie music scene, with songwriting efforts reaching back several years. Check out his songs at www.zackhexum.com

No comments: