Sunday, November 16, 2008

lunch smlunch

I had lunch with my mom’s side yesterday. My aunt just got back from the states and she wanted to gather those who are still here in the PI. It was fun seeing my cousins and their little ones.
What annoys me during these gatherings is the never-ending asking of “why are you still single?”, “Don’t you have marriage plans?” “When will you give your dad an apo?”. I’ve been asked those questions for four years now – as if being single is a crime.
I understand why they’re asking that because they knew my ex boyfriend and I believe they liked him too. There are even pasalubongs for him. They just did not know that my love life has been non-existent since June.
So I told them that he and I broke up. Another annoying thing happened. I heard “oooh”s and “aaah”s and “aaaawwwwww”s. oh.my.gawd.
They then asked why and I just gave them the short cut version of my break up: “it just did not work out.” Of course they were not contented. They had to know the long version. I told them a little bit and another dissection/autopsy was performed. And then the clichés came: “if he’s meant for you, he’ll come back”, “it’s not you, it’s him”, “his loss, sweetie”, “hay naku, marami pa dyan!” (agree ako sa last two! J )
My father was listening all the while my aunts and cousins were fussing over my break-up. He was smiling the whole time. I think he knew how I was feeling (pissed and amused at the same time). It was fun to see my aunts and cousins fussing over my breakup. It was like a bad teenage drama scene.
I know what my aunts and cousins were thinking: I’m getting “old” and I have no one. You see, most of my cousins got married in their early 20s. They now have plenty (3-5, yes that’s plenty) of kids, some are even in high school already. I am the second youngest girl among us cousins and since I reached 22, they’ve been looking forward to my marriage.
I appreciate their concern. Honestly, I do. I just don’t appreciate the pity. They may not say it but I can feel it.
I don’t like people pitying me. I have enough insecurities already and people pitying me are not helping one bit.
So I had to be brave and smile though everything.
Now…what to do with the pasalubongs =)

No comments: